Hubby and Me

Tuesday, February 24, 2009

WOW.

After posting early this morning, things seemed to take a really sour turn.
First thing this morning I am on scene of a 2 vehicle crash. We are told enroute that there were 2 infants involved. OK. Really gets the old heart pumping. Had a game plan. No infants. 7 and 10 years of age. Transport them and the mother to the hospital. One with some pretty serious injuries. Mother and 7 year old released, 10 year old life-flighted to Columbus Children's Hospital. Unclear as to why. WOW. Didn't see that coming. Second call to Coal mine. Injured foot. No big deal, really. Third call, Cardiac Arrest. I couldn't find my car keys (never happens) so I ran up to the trailer court to the patient. Had to do CPR for several minutes before squad arrived. WOW again. Didn't realize who the patient was until after we got to the hospital. He was my age. DOUBLE WOW! He didn't make it.

Sure need a few minutes to try and take the day in. I hate dealing with kids who are trauma patients. They crash instantly, with no warning signs. I really hate running a cardiac arrest code on someone my own age. None of us are free from life (or death). We don't know when it may be our time. We were told that he had no medical problems (but that seems unlikely). Maybe I will start using the gym to walk again. A little more exercise never hurt anyone.

Still trying to catch my own breath (found keys) and to settle my nerves down. Not a good type of call anytime, but especially at bedtime. Too much to think about instead of sleeping.

OK, enough venting. We did our best but our best just wasn't good enough tonight. We will work harder the next time.

Enjoy life. Our time on this earth is precious and short. Enjoy your families and friends. Let them know that they are special and important to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Starting again

Starting again
1/28/09

John Jr, Annie, Brian, Sarah and McKayla